People I Know
Previous Posts

Archives

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

Powered by Blogger

Car & Driver
Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Groooooody Fingers

Polishing a car can seem exciting and meaningful when you are psyched up and all. But after 5 hours you just wanna smash the car with every ounce of strength that can be mustered. I decided to wash the cars we had over the weekend since I really had nothing to do....as usual. So i trooped down to the carpark with my arsenal of buckets, cloths and car cleaning tools all revved up and ready to go. Even discovered a perfect place to tuck the cars into the shade and pull out a hose and wash the cars. First up was my mom's car...a 92 E36 BMW 318is....one of the very few still around town. This workhorse has been faithful to the family but obviously no one appreciates it that much treating it like a dumping ground for shoes, knick knacks and tennis gear. The interior has been reworked 3 or 4 times but it still keeps coming out. But we love the little thing and it's going to be here for another 14 more years. My mom has always wanted a CD player in the car since the only thing she can listen to it right now is FM radio since the tape player doesnt even work. My dad's reasoning is that everything can be serviced. He would rather spend $200 servicing a 10 year old part than buying a new one for $300. Now since the previous owner of the Z4 is generous enough to give us the stock radio from the car on top of the stellar Blaupunkt Woodstock radio, I've decided to swap the stock radio into my mom's car and give her a 'new' radio. The paint on the car was absolutely a chore to deal with. Waxing took me a good hour and a half and cleaning took me another 45 minutes. I was aching to the bone by the time i got done wit her. Alas, even afer waxing the car still didn't feel like it was waxed. Definitely bcos of the years of negligence. Next came the pride and joy of the fleet....the 02' 2.2L BMW Z3. I LOVE washing this car since its so small and the hose can reach every nook and cranny of the car. The paint is as good as it was from the factory albeit some minor paint spots and water flows right off of the body leaving little to dry. The drop top has its blemishes but that will be taken care of when we next bring it back to Performance Motors to have it serviced. After waxing with the new orbital polisher i bought from handifix and a good vacuum...also bought from handifix. The car was gorgeous. I had to go out and buy tyre shine since that has always been my favourite part of cleaning the car. Nothing makes a car look newer than shiny bling bling tyres. 5 hours later...and countless stares from neighbours who had passed me many times through the day...i trooped back up to my humble abode and vegetated on my couch whilst my dirty exhausted body recouped. Today it was my dad's car's turn to get the treatment although not entirely. The orbital polisher's wax applicator pad was still soaked in a bucket of water so polishing that behemoth of a car was outta the question after yesterday's work out. Rita came along and made the process a whole lot faster. Although she did have a Jessica Simpson moment with the vacuum cleaner... putting the hose into the intake of the centrifugal fan as opposed to the intake of the vacuum. The fleet are nice and shiny.....besides the application of leather polish. But what the hell...it can wait a week or so.


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates